Saturday, June 20, 2009

Famous Last Words

Our conversations are made more memorable and lively by the frequent use of quotes that have special meaning to us. For example if motoring down the road behind some challenged driver, one of us might say, "He is driving erotically." which would be followed by gales of laughter as we recalled that this quote is from sister #1 as she described the reason why the Highway Patrolman stopped sister #2 as she left Sardine Canyon and started into Cache Valley. We were confident that sister #2 was not driving topless but swerving due to fatigue. But the sister #1 is famous for her quote worthy malapropisms.
Of course we all have our own favorite quotes for which we have become famous. "Anything natural is not to be scorned." is one of my own quotes of which I am particularly proud. A family camp-out spawned my brother's famous "Let sleeping bags lie." in response to whether we should wake our Mother; and my husband's horrifying query re his young nephew's scrambled eggs covered with ketchup, "What is that, an abortion?" We also loved Cora's comment on my attempt to prepare her for Auntie's morning diabetes-testing ritual, "In our country we call that diarrhea." That left me speechless as in the "Joe vs the Volcano" favorite quote, "I have no response to that."
Actually TV and movies are a source of many of our favorite and oft-used quotes such as "I know you can get the job, but can you do the job. I'm not arguing that." also from "Joe vs the Volcano". And from "The Muppets take Manhattan": "Do you believe in inter- species dating?", Mr. Monk: "Suck it up, Sharona.", Ben Stein: "Bueller?", Obiwan Kanobi, "I feel a great disturbance in the Force." This last quote has also been used this way: "I felt no disturbance in the Force".
Children in the family have created a great legacy of memorable quotes, besides the aforementioned diarrhea-diabetes. I remember one Christmas Eve driving by the neighbor's celebration, with so many cars parked on either side of the street you could hardly get past. Darling daughter #1, age three at the time, said dryly, "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you die." In answer to our astonished but amused inquiry as to where she had heard that, she replied, "Goofy said it." Also darling daughter #2 looking at her father's bald head asked him, "Did the birds eat your hair Daddy?"
Children are so innocent and spontaneous with their comments. Our young nephew who was watching Sesame Street ran excitedly to his mother and asked, "Got cello, like Yo-Yo Ma?" This quote caught our imagination as over the years we thought of the stimulating effect this performance had had on him. Despite his early interest in the cello, he went on to be a gifted pianist, composer and scholar. I use the past tense because this quote is now used "In Memoriam".
I felt a great disturbance in the force.
"We felt a great disturbance in the Force."

1 comment:

  1. Very nice "in memoriam". The cello quote will always be one of my favorite quotes from him or any little one. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    We all felt a disturbance in the force.

    ReplyDelete